Make the future or it makes you. Stop reacting; start creating.
Urgency dominates where plans lack.
Yesterday’s future arrived today. Successful leaders plan. Planners make the future.
Planners live like tomorrow is today.
If you knew financial decline was in your future would you save money today?
“Planning is about preparing for the future, not predicting it.” Bill McBean
Planners see patterns.
Every spring the same thing happens in Pennsylvania. The whole State gets grumpy because we’re fed up with winter. Life is harder; tension easier. Organizational leaders should anticipate more conflict and stress.
If “grumpy” happens every spring it’s a pattern. Don’t react, plan.
Planners gather facts.
“Build factual foundations for decision making. For example:
- What happened in the Market today?
- What are the historical trends?
- How large is the market?
- Who are the major players?
- Who are the winners and loser?”
Adapted from, “The Facts of Business Life,” by Bill McBean.
Planners look back and around, then anticipate the future.
Planners paint the future.
Leaders live with the future in mind by acting like tomorrow is today.
All successful leaders create the future now.
Plans are paths to the future.
Leaders without plans are dynamic wanderers.
Drucker said, “The best way to predict the future is to create it.”
8 Elements of successful future-making:
- Destination or vision.
- Mission statement. Describe purpose and conduct (values).
- Goals. Explain expectations.
- Analysis. Describe the present. (Both internal and external).
- Strategies. Activities aligned with 1 through 4.
- Objectives. Plans that are exact, measurable, have short timelines, and provide accountability.
- Summary and communication. Share plans.
- Review and revise. Keep goals in sight.
Adapted from: “The Facts of Business Life.”
What attitudes, skills, and behaviors enable future-making?
Next week’s best FREE leadership development opportunity. Join me for a conference call with Dr. Henry Cloud: Set Boundaries – Extend Results, on April 3 at 1:00 p.m. ET. INFO