How to K.I.S.S. Lousy Operational Meetings Goodbye
Corporate teams love meetings. People who do the work can’t wait for meetings to end.
Use a K.I.S.S. agenda to run meetings real people love to attend.
#1. Keep: What do we need to keep doing?
- If you told someone how to make this work next time, what three things must be done?
- Who is essential to making this work? What are they doing?
#2. Improve: What do we need to improve?
- What would it look like if we made this 1% better?
- What one simple thing do we want to do next time to improve performance?
- If you told someone how to make this better next time, what three things come to mind?
- Imagine – if YOU made this better next time – what would you be doing?
#3. Stop: What do we need to stop doing?
- If we stopped doing this, who would notice?
- What’s preventing us from seizing a new opportunity?
- Where does it feel like we’re pushing the rope?
Focus on things within your control when exploring things to stop. Don’t send a memo upstairs telling others what they need to stop.
#4. Start: What do we need to start doing?
- If we had one free day every week, what new opportunity would we explore?
- What do you hope to do, but never seem to have time to get to?
- If you were a new leader here, what’s the first new thing you would do?
- What do we want to ask each other the next time we meet?
- Who does what by when?
The simplest operational meeting agenda I can imagine has two items and a close.
#1. What’s working?
#2. What could be better?
Spice: Once a month, add, “What do we need to stop,” to spice things up.
How might leaders run operational meetings that get things done and everyone loves to attend?
*I first read about Keep-Stop-Start in a 2011 HBR article by Thomas DeLong on Feedback. I added an “I” to create K.I.S.S.
I enjoy reading, but I don’t always have time to read all the books that interest me. READITFOR.me works for me.
One of my favorite features of READITFOR.me is the 12 minute video that summarizes an entire book. Click here to check out a special offer for Leadership Freak readers. I hope you’ll watch the video summary.
Pour into your leadership if you expect amazing results from your leadership.
Watch for the special upgrade offer after you purchase your lifetime membership. Give READITFOR.me to everyone in your organization for one year for an upgrade of only $49.00. (This upgrade is $49.00 per organization, not per employee.) Click here to check out a special offer for Leadership Freak readers.
Don’t miss it. You receive a Lifetime Membership and 10 Annual Memberships to give to others for less than the cost on one Annual Membership.