15 Discussion Topics that Strengthen Teams During Stress
15 discussion topics that strengthen teams during stress:
- What do you admire about your team members? Direct reports?
- What strengths/skills/attributes does our team have that will help us thrive during the next 30 days?
- What bolsters your confidence?
- If you described this situation as an opportunity, what words come to mind?
- What are you enjoying about this challenge?
- What might we learn that will enhance our service over the next 30 days?
- What do we want to avoid today and/or this week as a team/individuals?
- What new opportunities for service might we seize over the next 30 days?
- How will we be better equipped to fulfill our mission as a result of this experience?
- How might this situation make us better leaders? People?
- If we fail to serve each other well over the next 30 days, what will we NOT have done?
- What’s within our control? How might we take ownership of things within our control?
- What’s beyond our control? How might we let go of things we can’t control?
- What language/actions energize you? Drain you?
- What resources might we leverage to better serve each other and our constituents? (Lack makes stress unmanageable. Focus on what you have, not what you don’t have.)
Mayo Clinic recommends five stress management techniques:
- Relax. (Breathe, meditate, practice yoga or tai chi, get a massage.)
- Spending time with family and friends.
- Engage in hobbies. (Read. Listen to music.)
I’ll add, AVOID CABLE NEWS and watch some comedians.
“The body’s stress response reacts strongly to perceived threats. If you don’t perceive something as a threat, there is generally no threat-based stress response. If you perceive something as a challenge instead, the fear you would normally experience may turn into excitement and anticipation, or at least resolve.” (AIS)
Which discussion topic seems most relevant for your team today?
What discussion topics might you add?