“Really great people make you feel that you, too, can become great,” Mark Twain.
The most important thing
The leaders greatest challenge isn’t leading, it’s making others great.
Settle for nothing less than growing leaders that become greater than you.
10 ways to make others great
- Think less about what you want and more about what they want. Tap into who they want to be. Ask -how can I help you get where you want to go?
- Provide opportunities for failure. Nothing succeeds like a good failure. Our failures, more than successes, make us. Organizations that learn from failure go farther than ones that punish them.
- Accept average performance as long as there’s passion to learn and grow.
- Throw wood on their fire. Anyone can quench someone. Try igniting them. Passion, passion, passion …
- Learn from them by honoring what they know. They learn by teaching you. Additionally, Honor opens the door to influence.
- Listen to your selfishness. Give to others what you want from them. Not so you’ll get it back but so they’ll be built up.
- Step back so they can step forward. Prepare them. Provide resources. Set deadlines. Remember, leaders learn by leading.
- Be a safety net. Young leaders need a place of refuge where they can recover, renew, and refocus.
- Be direct with correction. Don’t play around. Describe wrong behaviors and explain the path to success.
- Leverage ownership over accountability. The power of accountability fades in light of ownership. Say, “This is your project.”
Your organization won’t suffer because it has too many qualified leaders. Effective leadership development taps potential and enhances opportunity. It creates the future.
Drucker said, “No executive has ever suffered because his subordinates were strong and effective.”
Why don’t leaders grow young leaders?
How can leaders grow more leaders?
Stop over to the Leadership Freak Facebook page. If you like then jump into the conversation and click on “Like.”