Santa gets a 7 out of 10 on the Leadership Freak Leader’s Scale. (LFLS)
Give Santa a pat on the back for having a large crew of elves who make toys. But when it comes to delivering toys, Santa is an individual contributor. He would receive a 10 out of 10 if he had a team of people delivering toys.
Santa’s exceptional skill:
The one thing Santa does exceptionally well is connect.
Healthy influence requires connection.
Every interaction with Santa fits a simple five step process.
- What is your name?
- What do you want?
- Have you been a good girl or boy?
- Would you like a candy cane?
- Merry Christmas.
Santa’s system applied:
- Care about people as individuals.
- Express interest in what others want. Successful teams align around shared wants.
- Explore and evaluate performance.
- Give honor, gratitude, and rewards.
- Maintain optimism. Ho! Ho! Ho!
A personal note:
Thank you for reading and sharing Leadership Freak. It’s been a privilege and pleasure to serve you and other leaders around the globe in 2018. I look forward to serving you in 2019.
How would you rate Santa as a leader?
*The 5 step Santa Clause System was first published on Leadership Freak on December 21, 2013.