A client requested a list of resources I referenced in the presentation I gave last Tuesday. Here it is…
- The Leadership Challenge, James Kouzes and Barry Posner “The five functions of leadership.”
- Dare to Lead, Brene’ Brown.
- Daring Greatly, Brene’ Brown. (Vulnerable leadership.)
- Are You Fully Charged, Tom Rath. “11% had a great deal of energy yesterday.”
- Management Time: Who’s Got the Monkey, William Oncken Jr. and Donald L. Wass. (HBR article) “The monkey is the next step.”
- Bad is Stronger than Good, by Roy Baumeister, Ellen Bratslavsky, and Catrin Finkenauer. (Research paper) “You need three positives to balance one negative.”
- Our Brain’s Negative Bias, Hara Estroff Marano. (Online article from Psychology Today) “The brain reacts more strongly to stimuli it deems negative.”
- Praise Is Fleeting, but Brickbats We Recall, Alina Tugend. (New York Times) “… almost everyone remembers negative things more strongly and in more detail.”
- Thinking, Fast and Slow, Daniel Kahneman. “Nothing is as important as you think it is, while you are thinking about it.”
- Touch Points, Doug Conant and Mette Norgaard. Reference to 30,000 handwritten thank you notes.
- StrengthsFinder 2.0, Tom Rath.
- What Makes Michael Phelps So Good? Adam Hadhazy. (Scientific American) “Energy in strengths.”
- When, Daniel Pink. “The last 10 minutes of the day.”
- Everyday Leadership, Drew Dudley. (YouTube video)
- Radical Candor, Kim Scott. “Care personal. Challenge directly.”
- It’s Hard to be Humble, Mac Davis. (YouTube video)
- The No Asshole Rule, Robert Sutton.
- Scaling Up Excellence, Robert Sutton and Huggy Rao. – “What if I’m wrong?”
- The Outward Mindset, Arbinger Institute. – “Intense curiosity about people.”
- Mindset, Carol Dweck. – “What did you learn?”
- Focus, Heidi Grant. Insights into promoters and protectors. (Doers and Dreamers)
- No Respect, Rodney Dangerfield. (YouTube video)
- Start with Why, Simon Sinek. “People don’t buy what you do, they buy why you do it.”
What leadership book or resource has helped you develop as a leader?
Bonus: I also met with the Directors of the region. You might find Amy Edmondson’s, The Fearless Organization, useful. “Building safe environments.”