This post was originally published 4 years ago today. (11-22-2016)
You look for an escape when blabbing leaders arrive. But a leader skilled at powerful conversations is a thing of beauty.
10 questions to kickstart powerful conversations:
- What would make this conversation a success for you today?
- What’s giving you the most energy these days? What does that say about you?
- What’s on your mind?
- What are you learning?
- What crossroads are you at today?
- What would you like to get out of this conversation?
- How would you like to move the ball forward today?
- Would you like me to listen, coach, or advise you today? (Thanks Bob Hancox.)
- Where do you feel you are wasting energy?
- How have you succeeded since our last conversation?
My two favorites are: What’s on your mind? What would you like to get out of this conversation?
10 questions to land powerful conversations:
The way you land a conversation solidifies it’s value.
- If I saw you moving forward as a result of our conversation, what would I see you doing differently? (If you want different results, you must choose different behaviors.)
- What’s shifting in your thinking? Follow this with, what’s important to you about that?
- Who might join you as you move forward? Encourage people to share their goals with others.
- What would you like me to ask you next time? (Personal favorite.)
- What was useful today?
- What seems clearer for you today?
- What do you plan to do between now and our next conversation? When? How?
- What does success look like as you move forward?
- What worked best for you during our conversation?
- What do you need to stop doing?
5 results of powerful conversations:
- Forward movement.
What if the power of transformation is ignited in questions, not statements?
Which questions for kickstarting and landing powerful conversations do you like best? Why?