This week the phrase, “Inappropriate persistence,” came to mind. Getting stuck is the result of inappropriate persistence. I’ve been there. How about you?
Learning is an opportunity to defeat inappropriate persistence.
And now a recap of the week.
Recap of the week:
A Pig in a Suit Still Stinks
If professionalism is about competence, count me in. But there’s a difference between being professional and professional environments.
The purpose of a professional environment is exclusion.
You never met an innovator that wore a suit and tie.
7 ways to build a relational environment…
How to Lead with Patience and Not Get Walked On
You were born exasperated and impatient.
Patience emerges after we learn that we aren’t the center of the universe.
#1. Patience with people.
#2. Patience in difficulty.
#3. Patience with kindness.
Tenderness without toughness is an invitation for abuse.
10 Sure Signs There’s Trouble Ahead
Optimism is a surprising disappointment when you imagine a hungry lion wants to play.
Skillful leaders anticipate trouble. Short-sighted leaders press forward and suffer.
This post includes: 5 ways to prepare for trouble!
The ability to anticipate potential problems isn’t a skill until it’s combined with action. Thinking is 10% of the solution; action is the other 90%.
7 No-Nonsense Questions that Challenge People without being a Jerk-Hole
Successful leaders challenge people. Jerk-holes are just pushy. But the opposite of pushy – being a push-over – isn’t an option for leaders.
#1. 7 fundamentals of assertive challenge:
Don’t bludgeon people with their success by constantly pressing for more with less.
#2. 7 questions to ask before challenging people:
On a scale of 1 to 10, how challenging is this new opportunity? (1 = not at all. 10 = off the charts.)
#3. 7 No-nonsense questions that challenge people:
What’s the bravest thing you can do?
“Keep away from people who try to belittle your ambitions. Small people always do that, but the really great make you feel that you, too, can become great.” Mark Twain
The 10 Best Ways to Spot a Close-Minded Leader
A closed mind gets stupid as time passes.
A leader with a closed mind:
#1. Judges quickly.
#2. Defends frequently.
#3. Listens intermittently.