Monday mornings are a hodgepodge of enthusiasm, anxiety, or dread. Like a race horse, you feel that starting-gate feeling.
This Monday, make their duties and agenda your Monday morning passion. The people around you feel the same things you feel. Reach them through their feelings.
10 tips to do the Manic Monday Shift:
- Go to your team; don’t wait for them to come to you. Try a little MBWA, management by walking around.
- Ask your team or colleagues, “What are your work challenges this week? What are your top projects?”
- Sit when you enter their space, don’t stand. This doesn’t mean you plan to stay long. It means you’re interested.
- Ask how you can help. (Thanks @dougconant for this one.)
- Tell them where they fit in and what their work means.
- Honor a past success.
- Acknowledge a talent, skill, or behavior you appreciate.
- Indicate you believe in them. “I’m glad you’re on our team.”
- Avoid asking for anything. Pour into their cup, don’t pour out.
- Leave as quickly as you arrived.
Put the “Manic Monday Shift” on next Monday morning’s calendar.
If you haven’t done this before, they’ll wonder if something is wrong. Leave them guessing. Don’t say, “Nothing is wrong.” Just lift them and leave.
What can you do to lift others on Monday morning?
Don’t miss a single issue of Leadership Freak, subscribe today. It’s free. It’s private. It’s always practical and brief.
Go to the main page of Leadership Freak by clicking the banner at the top of this page, look in the right-hand navigation bar, enter your email and click subscribe. Your email address is always kept private. Note: if it doesn’t arrive, check your spam filter for a confirmation email.