What Shape is Your Leadership – A Team Activity
What shape is your leadership? This isn’t about being physically thin or round.
What shape is most appealing to you? (Pick a shape you prefer before you read further.)
It seems that the shape you prefer reflects your personality. Maybe it’s hocus pocus, but it’s a fun interaction that your team can use for conversation and reflection.
I prefer the triangle and the squiggle. If I had to choose, I’d choose the squiggle. Squares bug me.
- Choose your preferred shape and share it with your teammates.
- Hand out the document provided by Preceptor.
- Discuss strengths, weaknesses, and opportunities.
- How might you/others best leverage your/their shape?
If you prefer squares, it’s likely you are:
If your leader is a square:
- Do your job.
- Meet all deadlines.
- Pay attention to details.
- Be to work on time.
If you prefer circles, it’s likely you are:
- Relationship oriented.
- Team oriented.
If your leader is a circle:
- Be prepared to stop what you are doing and chat.
- Expect lots of meetings.
- Do not lie.
If you prefer triangles, it’s likely you are:
- Able to do well under pressure.
If your leader is a triangle:
- Do the “little things”.
- Don’t “badmouth” a team.
- Make all communication direct and succinct.
If you’re a rectangle, it’s likely you are:
If your leader is a rectangle:
- Don’t push.
- Offer suggestions and ideas.
If you’re a squiggle, it’s likely you are:
- Idea oriented.
If your leader is a squiggle:
- Keep paperwork away.
- Walk and talk.
(After discussion, give people a chance to change their shape.)
What shape do you prefer?
How might you use a “shape exercise” with your team?
What Shape are You (Preceptor)
Favorite Shape Reveals Personality (Weakly News)