4 Simple Reasons Your Calendar is Out of Control
Time management isn’t about time. It’s about you.
Your calendar is out of control because you lack the character traits to control it.
4 reasons your calendar is out of control:
#1. Lack of humility.
Running around like a chicken with its head cut off seduces people who need to feel important. Your calendar is out of control because arrogance drives you.
Arrogance warns, “Anyone who has enough time must be a loser.”
You underestimate how long projects take because you overestimate your abilities.
Humility accepts capacity and ability while aspiring to improve at the same time.
Embrace humanity. Accept limitations. Live a big rock life.
#2. People pleasing.
People pleasers do things they don’t want to do.
People pleasers can’t set boundaries. A person without boundaries is controlled by others.
Practice setting boundaries. Begin small. Say no with kindness.
Multitasking is only effective when work is brainless. Meaningful work requires concentration.
How much meaningful work are you doing in the average day? You can’t do two meaningful things well at the same time.
Choose one meaningful job every day. Block out time to complete it. Include a few minutes to mentally prepare – turn off notifications, breathe, determine what success looks like, get busy.
A person who can’t decide wastes time exploring options.
- Determine the reason for making a decision.
- Reflect on the benefit if you make the right decision. How will life be better if the decision goes well?
- Consider the worst that could happen.
- Explore three options, no more.
- Decide to decide. “I’m going to spend 30 minutes exploring options before I make a choice.”
- Break one big decision into several small decisions.
- Be willing to change your mind. Avoid the sunk cost fallacy.
What do you notice about people whose calendar is out of control?
How might leaders get better control of their calendar?