How to Be a Leader Others Talk About – in a Good Way
20 free books!
Leave a comment on this post by 2/23/2017 to become eligible to win one of twenty complimentary copies of Chip Bell’s new book, Kaleidoscope.
My conversation with bestselling author Chip Bell transformed my thinking.
Stories and leadership:
Chip talked about customer service that people tell their friends about. I started thinking about the stories people tell about their leaders. Ouch!
Inspire a beautiful story others can’t wait to talk about.
Inspire beautiful stories:
- Begin with the stories you want others telling about your leadership. What do you want your teammates saying about you to their family and friends?
- What’s important to you about those stories? Do you want them saying you’re decisive, kind, a good listener, or inspiring? Find energy by asking yourself why you care.
- Practice behaviors that create the stories you want others telling about you. How might you listen in such a way that your team members go home and say, “I can’t believe how well my boss listens to me,” for example?
Adding the term ‘customer’ to servant-leadership reignites an outward shift.
The difference between servant-leadership and customer-servant-leadership is focus. When you say servant-leader you think about qualities and behaviors servant-leaders possess or lack. But add the term customer to servant-leader and the focus shifts to others.
Servant-leadership is about others, even though we typically make it about who we are.
Adding customer to servant-leader:
- Elevates the importance and challenge of humility. ‘Customer’ reminds you that it’s not about you.
- Provides focus to leadership development. What qualities and behaviors align with your strengths and bring the most value to the people you serve?
Develop your leadership to elevate the value you bring to others.
How might leaders bring customer service into their approach to leadership?
Buy Chip’s Book: Kaleidoscope
Visit Chip Bell
Follow Chip on twitter:
Winners have been selected and notified for this giveaway.
20 free books!
Leave a comment on this post by 2/23/2017 to become eligible to win one of twent complimentary copies of Chip Bell’s new books, Kaleidoscope.