Top 20 Stupid Leader Tricks
Never underestimate the potential and power of a good mistake.
Wisdom is acquired when you learn from your mistakes. James Joyce wisely observes, “A man’s errors are his portals of discovery.”
On the other hand, it’s less painful if you learn from another’s blunders. With that in mind, you’ll be wise beyond your years if you avoid these classic stupid leader tricks.
TOP 20 STUPID LEADER TRICKS
- Holding grudges
- Withholding an apology
- Demanding what you should earn
- Hording knowledge
- Refusing to delegate
- Delegating tasks without explaining vision
- Allowing weaknesses in one area of person’s life to obscure their strengths in another
- Clinging to Power rather than giving it
- Saying yes when you mean no
- Talking too much, deciding too slow, and doing too little
- Making statements before asking questions
- Adding minor corrections or improvements to another’s work
- Making assumptions without information
- Getting even
- Blaming others rather than taking responsibility
- Putting off tough conversations
- Failure to establish clear deliverables that include milestones and deadlines
- Accepting mediocrity
- Mistaking busy for effective
- Pretending you know when you don’t
Creating this list was fun and didn’t take long. If making mistakes makes us wise, I’m a genius!
There are many opportunities for conversation on this article.
What stupid leader tricks can you add to the list?
Can you explain, expand, or illustrate one of the stupid leader tricks I’ve mentioned?