3 Ways Leaders Drive People Nuts
Imagine the person on your team who drives you nuts. Realize you drive others crazy, too, but they’re afraid to tell you.
A leader’s quirks, inconsistencies, and weaknesses should be addressed, not tolerated.
3 ways leaders drive people nuts:
#1. Respond emotionally to problems, failure, or tough situations.
Emotionally unpredictable leaders are bullies.
- People walk on eggshells when you’re emotionally unpredictable. Emotional leaders distract and drain teammates.
- Make snap decisions in the moment. Change your mind later.
- Throw-up your hands in frustration.
Passion goes right when it invigorates and wrong when it intimidates.
Emotionally steady leaders enable boldness.
#2. Show up unprepared for meetings.
- Arrive late and make excuses.
- Search for meeting notes after you arrive.
- Ask to be briefed after you arrive.
- Hold meetings without clear purpose or agendas.
Busyness is never an excuse for lack of preparation.
Lack of preparation makes others feel you’re incompetent.
#3. Appear disinterested during one on ones
- Finish a task after your appointment arrives. “I”ll be right with you. I just need to finish this email.”
- Answer email while someone is talking.
- Keep looking at your phone or watch.
Distracted leaders make people feel devalued.
If you want the best from others, let them know they’re valued.
7 more ways leaders drive people nuts:
- Solve problems in email.
- Schedule important meetings at the end of the day.
- Complain about people to their teammates.
- Expect more from others than you expect from yourself.
- Create an unsustainable pace.
- Talk with a loud voice.
- Give yourself perks.
4 tips for leaders who drive people crazy:
- Remember how important you are. The more important you are, the more important good manners become.
- Remember how important they are. You succeed when your team succeeds. Don’t make things more difficult than they need to be.
- Preparation says you value other people’s time.
- Stay calm.
How do leaders drive people nuts?
What suggestions do you have for leaders who drive people nuts?