5 Advantages of Being New Even When You’re Not
Some of the best things leaders do, they do when they’re new. Show up today likes it’s your first day, even if it isn’t.
You wanted to learn everything when you were new. Now that you’ve been around awhile, your head is full.
A closed leader lives in a small shrinking universe.
The advantage of being new is openness.
Pretend that today is your first day.
- What if others were teaching you?
- What if you weren’t the all knowing one?
- What if 50% of your sentences ended with a question mark?
5 practices of open leaders
#1. Practice intense curiosity about people.
- What makes them light up?
- What are their strengths? More importantly, what untapped passions do they feel?
- What do they do outside of work?
- What are their hopes and aspirations?
- How did they get started in their career?
#2. Inquire about processes and procedures.
- Why are we doing things that way?
- What are you doing that works really well?
- What are you doing that frustrates you?
#3. Schedule one-on-ones.
It’s common practice to have one-on-ones when you’re new. How would it feel to have another round of one-on-ones? Remember how curious you were.
#4. Invite suggestions.
- If you were in charge, how would you handle this situation?
- What do you suggest?
- Let’s generate a list of four possible solutions.
#5. Get your hands dirty.
- Sit at the receptionist’s desk and take a few calls.
- Go out with a sales person. Meet a client.
- Walk down the hall and learn how to do something new.
Seize the opportunity of being new again. Maybe, just for today, you might pretend that it’s your first day and you’re dumb.
If today was your first day, what would you do?
I’m passionate about reading, but I don’t always have time to read all the books that interest me. READITFOR.me works for me.
One of my favorite features of READITFOR.me is the 12 minute video that summarizes an entire book. Click here to check out a special offer for Leadership Freak readers. I hope you’ll watch the video summary.
Pour into your leadership if you expect amazing results from your leadership.
Watch for the special upgrade offer after you purchase your lifetime membership. Give READITFOR.me to everyone in your organization for one year for an upgrade of only $49.00. (This upgrade is $49.00 per organization, not per employee.) Click here to check out a special offer for Leadership Freak readers.
Don’t miss it. You receive a Lifetime Membership and 10 Annual Memberships to give to others for less than the cost on one Annual Membership.