How to Take Control of Your Life in 2019
If you don’t choose how to show up – before you show up – someone else eventually controls your life.
It’s misery when you give control of your life to disappointing-others.
- A disappointing boss expects more with less, but grants exceptions to himself.
- A disappointing team makes excuses for poor performance, but all the leader does is complain about the performance of the team.
- A disappointing employee wants you to change, but refuses to change herself.
Success is learning to thrive even when others disappoint.
Begin your day by choosing how to show up – before you show up.
Tip: choose an attribute that applies in a broad array of situations.
You think stupid things when you give control of your life to others.
- If they appreciated me, I’d bring my best.
- If I had a better team, I wouldn’t have to be a jerk.
- If I had a better boss, I would manage my team better.
- If I had a bigger salary, I would have more energy.
Never let others be the reason you bring less than your best-self to work.
Choose an attribute:
- Challenging. (As in expecting yourself and others to rise.)
Choose an action:
Choose one attribute from the above list and identify one action that reflects the way you choose to show up. Practice it until lunch. For example:
- Say, “Let’s try something and see how it works.”
- Try something someone else suggestions. (As long as it won’t cause harm.)
- Ask, “What do you think we should do?”
If you chose how to show up today, what would be on your list?
What prevents people from choosing how to show up?