10 Ways to Enjoy Work Now
You spend much of life working. Enjoy work so you can enjoy life.
Enjoy work or hate life.
10 ways to enjoy work:
#1. Don’t work.
One of the best ways to enjoy work is to turn off, shut down, and unplug.
You need new work if you dread work after taking time off.
#2. Respect energy.
- Do hard work when you’re at your best.
- Minimize energy drains.
- Fill your own tank.
#3. Notice contribution.
What contributions most excite you? Find ways to do more of that.
#4. Enjoy people.
Make of list of your own quirks, frailties, and weaknesses. Everyone is imperfect, even you.
- Accept people’s quirks and frailties.
- Respect positive traits. Honor how they contribute.
- Stop fixing.
- Know the three top strengths of everyone on the team.
Retrain, reassign, or remove people who don’t contribute.
#5. Establish rituals.
Healthy doses of turbulence and instability add excitement. Rituals add predictability and stability.
- Start the day slowly.
- Choose how you show up.
- Create a gratitude journal.
#6. Break rituals.
Rituals get boring. Break boring rituals and establish new ones.
#7. Discover why.
Things you don’t like are less painful when they serve a higher purpose.
- How have painful experiences formed your desire to make a difference?
- How are people’s lives better because of your contribution?
- What contributions energize you?
#8. Choose models.
Notice how you currently imitate others. My dad taught me how to love my wife by loving mom. But he worked too hard.
- Jettison negative imitation; embrace positive.
- Find yourself by intentionally imitating people you admire.
You hate work when fake-it-till-you-make-it dominates your day.
#9. Develop yourself.
Seek advisers, mentors, and coaches.
Everyone needs support from someone who doesn’t have a dog in the fight.
#10. Respect yourself.
Do more of what matters to you.
Which way to enjoy work speaks to you?
What might you add to the above list?