The Exponential Leadership Goal for 2016
If you aspire to leadership because you want to tell people what to do, make lots of money, or be in the spotlight, get out now. Sometimes leaders do all three. Often they don’t.
Successful leadership pivots on developing leaders.
Leaders, who don’t develop leaders, become bottlenecks.
The exponential leadership goal:
Real leaders “develop leaders who develop leaders.”
Stop saying you’re a leader until you can list the people who are “leaders who develop leaders,” because of you.
Leadership crisis, within an organization, means current leaders entirely missed the point of their existence.
Leaders who don’t develop leaders:
- Cling to authority. Leaders who need authority, cling to it, rather than release it. Those who relish the trappings of position, view others as rivals.
- Work alone. In order to develop leaders you must invite them to do what you do.
- Protect their turf and make themselves indispensable.
- Rely on telling. Leaders are developed by making decisions, not being told what to do. Constant telling makes you the boss, not a leader.
- Need to be smarter than others.
- Fear mistakes. Perfectionists can’t allow others to test their wings.
How to “develop leaders who develop leaders:”
- Ignore the organizational chart.
- Look for those who have aspirations for themselves and others.
- Exclude those who aren’t faithful contributors already.
- Teach the fundamental leadership behaviors (Kouzes and Posner):
- Model the way.
- Inspire shared vision.
- Challenge the process.
- Enable others to act.
- Encourage the heart.
- Tell the truth compassionately. Coddling is affirming, not developing.
- Welcome challenge. Team members that don’t challenge themselves and others are followers.
- Make room for consequences. Don’t blame, but don’t shield either. Ask, “What are you going to do about it?”
Bonus: Become a leadership coach.
Leaders build the future by, “developing leaders who develop leaders.”
What changes in leadership, if the goal is, “developing leaders who develop leaders?”