More Gravy from The Global Leadership Summit
Quotes and concepts from speakers at The Global Leadership Summit:
- If you’re not dead you’re not done.
- Don’t fear the new generation, believe in them because they need you.
- Delegating tasks creates followers. Delegating authority creates leaders.
- Authenticity trumps cool.
- Young leaders grossly overestimate what they can do in the short-run and underestimate what can be done in the long-run.
- Honor publicly results in influence privately.
- Giving people honor helps them become honorable.
- Respect is earned. Honor is given.
- Create ongoing feedback loops from those who are older and younger.
- Don’t copy what others do. Copy how they think.
- How many 16 year olds can write a book? Those who’ve been told they can.
Six questions that create clarity:
- Why do we exist? (Reason for existence)
- How do we behave? (Values)
- What do we do?
- How will we succeed? (Strategy)
- What is most important, right now? (Priorities)
- Who must do what? (Execution)
More from Lencioni:
- If an organization is tolerant of everything, it will stand for nothing.
- All things to all people is nothing to no one.
- Core values question one, “What are you willing to get punished for?”
- Core values question two, “What are you willing to do even if you don’t get rewarded?”
- The greatest power in negotiation is not to react.
- The goal isn’t the elimination of conflict.
- Focus on people. Separate people from the problem.
- Be soft on the people and hard on the problem.
- The harder the problem the softer on people.
- How could you change someone’s mind if you don’t know what’s in their mind?
What’s one of your favorite highlights? Why?